Ok, so I am hunting for an after market iPhone as I cannot buy one in the US off from AT&T (don’t have SSN… and don’t want to pay 650 bucks for an unlocked iPhone 4 from Apple). So craigslist has now become my favorite hunting ground. Being the thorough researcher that I am (yeah I like to know everything that’s out there, eval all my options before going for anything) I have researched and came up with some tips, that might help people like me from re-inventing the wheel. My research helped me in discovering a lot of small things which can help you in deciding whether the iPhone you are buying is genuine or a fake. So here goes guys, and hope it helps:
A real iPhone 3GS or iPhone 4 will have (and you should test all this before buying):
– video recording. this is not there in 3G out of the box.
– multi touch
– 2 speakers at bottom, on either side of the docking port
– speakers have a wire mesh
– the screen lock button works across width and not length. and has a red line mark when put on mute.
– multitasking – double tap home button for multitasking. Check this only if it’s iOS 4.
– hold down the home button activates voice control.
– does not have a manually removable battery
– accessories are original
– there is no FM
– is not dual sim
– 16 icons on one page. There are 4 more icons on the springboard, which are common across all pages.
– safari browser
– does not have expandable memory
– compass application
– accelerometer (this is what switches to landscape view)
– inside the box’s top cover there will be a barcode
– box comes with apple stickers
– the wall chargers pin’s is tapered at both ends in A shape. applies to US models only.
– put the serial number on Apple’s site and try to get the info – https://selfsolve.apple.com/GetWarranty.do
Specifically for iPhone 3GS:
– has a 3 megapixel camera
– on top you will have – power botton, 3.5 mm jack, sim slot
– metal back cover and not plastic
– if you hold out the phone in bright light / sunlight, then on top left you will be able to see 3 dots, which are the sensors.
Specifically for iPhone 4:
– gyroscope and accelerometer
– glass on the front and back
– 5 megapixel camera
– small pin hole mic on top near 3.5 mm jack and a separataor next to it
– front camera
– the headphone has a volume adjust switch
The difference between a 3G and a 3GS phone (since they look almost like clones):
– 3GS has video recording, 3G does not
– backside bottom letters written in chrome on 3GS while they are written with paint on 3G
– compass on 3GS
How to know if your white iPhone is real or a black one converted to white:
– The difference is on a converted iphone, headphone jack & docking port are black. But on genuine white iphone they are white.
The fake iPhone mostly has these:
– has plastic screen not glass… waves on screen due to poor build quality
– opening video and music takes longer time and controls don’t seem to work seamlessly
– probably has 2 MP camera
– has no maps and compass
– has dual sim
– home button will be slightly above the body contour, a little like raised up if you see the cross-sectional profile
– will have big charger
– earphones’s volume switch will be different, mostly oval and not straight as in real iphone.
Tips to buy an iPhone off from craigslist:
– buy in public place
– never buy packed/sealed box
– if it comes with the box, see if the serial# on box matches with the serial# on the phone.
– see if logo is double stamped or blurred
– back should be aluminium and not plastic
– always charge the phone in front of you and see if it charges properly. If the phone’s port is water damaged it will not charge.
– try to use the headphones and see if the 3.5 mm jack works.
– try to flip all the buttons to see if they work e.g. volume buttons, mute button, power button.
You might also consider buying a factory unlocked iPhone directly from Apple store. Here are the prices:
– 3Gs 16 gig – 499
– 4 16 gig – 599
– 4 32 gig – 699
and of course you have to add tax on top of that, so bump the above figure by around 40-50 bucks.
Happy purchasing guys … And do let me know if this was of any help to you…